Coverage for Motorhomes, RVs & Travel Trailers

Owning a motorhome, travel trailer, fifth wheel or tent trailer is a hard-earned dream come true for more and more people in British Columbia. These assets represent a sizable investment and are worthy of protecting with specific insurance.

Motorhome Insurance

You purchase insurance on your motorhome much like you do for your car or van. In contrast to auto insurance, however, the insurance you buy for your motorhome covers what is considered “standard equipment” and “contents” that would not be covered by your insurance policy for your car.

This “standard equipment” includes those items that are attached to the motorhome, such as the appliances. The “contents” that would be covered could include dishes, cooking utensils, linens, etc. Please contact us for a list of items that are covered under “standard equipment” and “contents”.

On the otherhand, certain valuables and equipment are excluded from the standard policy, which usually includes: business items, motorized vehicles attached to the motorhome, bicycles, watercraft, and valuables such as jewelry, money and furs. Again, contact us for a complete list list of excluded items.

Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheels

Travel trailers and fifth wheels can be insured through the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) or other insurance companies. For example, when you purchase a “Vehicle Travel Protection” package from ICBC for your auto, the camper or trailer that you are towing will be protected. It is important to ask us about the limits of protection under this type of policy.

In addition, your home insurance may cover some of the contents of your trailer or fifth wheel—up to certain limits. You may need to purchase additional coverage if the limits provided by your home insurance are insufficient to cover the true value of the contents of your trailer. Check with us for details.

Other Coverage for Motorhomes and Travel Trailers

Ask us about the following coverage options to ensure that your assets are fully protected.

Unit in Storage: Trailers, fifth wheels, tent trailers and campers require special insurance while in storage. If they are used as a living accommodation, they require still another type of coverage. Contact us for details.

Comprehensive Coverage: For protection from just about any direct, sudden, and accidental loss, including: collision, fire, smoke, flood, landslide, hail, windstorm, animals, vandalism, low branches or overhangs, theft and lightning.

Attached Accessories: Includes awnings, satellite dishes and TV antennas.

Emergency Expenses: Pays for lodging or travel home if your rig is damaged or destroyed by a covered loss more than 50 miles from home.

Campsite/Vacation Liability: Provides liability coverage when you are parked and using your motorhome as a residence.

Replacement Cost Policy: This type of policy provides broad coverage, with the standard insurance exclusions, and a replacement cost settlement that is based on the current depreciated value of the motorhome or travel trailers.

Guaranteed Replacement Cost Policy: This policy also provides broad coverage with the standard exclusions, but the replacement costs are calculated based on the value of providing a new, but comparable, motorhome or travel trailer.

Full Timers Coverage: Provides comprehensive personal liability, stored personal contents, and additional living expense coverage if you are living full-time in your motorhome or travel trailer.