Easily answer a few questions to get your no stress, no obligation quote

Eligibility Criteria For Investor Guard Policies

Properties that qualify for the Investor Guard policy for rented dwellings are subject to the following eligibility criteria:

  • New policyholders need to be a member of the “Real Estate Investment Network”
  • Dwellings must be well maintained, in good condition, and rented to others for private residential purposes
  • Building must have been originally constructed for residential occupancy
  • Dwellings over 25 years old must have updated heating, electrical, and plumbing systems satisfactory to the underwriter
  • Roof updates required at 20 years unless roof covering is rated for longer life expectancy
  • Hot water tank: maximum 10-years old
  • Minimum 100-amp electrical service
  • Dwellings must be within 8 kilometers (5 miles) of a responding fire hall
  • Dwellings must have functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and a fire extinguisher (For multi-unit properties, each unit must be equipped with its own functioning detectors and fire extinguisher)
  • All bedrooms must have at least 1 window (for optimum safety, these windows should be easily opened from the inside, accessible and large enough for anyone to fit through in case of a fire)

Ineligible Properties

  • Properties with more than one water damage claim in 3 years, or more than two claims of any kind in 3 years
  • Dwellings with knob & tube wiring or fuses
  • Dwellings with aluminum wiring (unless it is a singular wire from the breaker to an appliance – no pigtailing)
  • Dwellings with galvanized plumbing
  • Units with primary wood heat
  • Outdoor oil tanks older than 19 years, or indoor tanks older than 24 years, and all underground oil tanks
  • Any buildings not on continuous concrete foundations (i.e. post & pier), ICF (insulated concrete forms) or wood foundations
  • Log homes, house trailers, mobile homes, houseboats, heritage homes
  • Dwellings slated for demolition
  • Properties located on farm property. (This includes risks with outbuildings that are obsolete, former farm buildings, not structurally sound, used for mercantile operations or containing animals/poultry)
  • Rental dwellings or units rented on a short-term basis (less than one year), sublets, or used as shared accommodations with paying guests
  • Properties with boarding, rooming, or lodging occupancies
  • Risks known to have contained or been involved in illegal drug cultivation, manufacture, or distribution
  • Any risk with cancellation for non-payment in the last 36 months