There are flowers blooming in the garden, birds singing in the sky, children playing in the yard – and water in the basement! Most of us look forward to spring and its natural beauty and revitalizing spirit, but if we’re not careful it can also mean water damage.
Here are a few home maintenance tips for spring that can help ensure that the April showers only bring May flowers, not May mayhem!
- Remove debris from gutters and downspouts. Repair or replace any loose or leaky gutters. Ensure downspouts drain away from the foundation.
- Have your roof inspected and have any damaged areas replaced or repaired by a qualified roofer.
- Have your chimney cleaned by a certified chimney sweep. Inspect the exterior for any damage.
- Clean, inspect and repair siding or stucco.
- Prune trees and shrubs. Remove any dead branches. Trim branches that are touching your home.
- Clean up fallen branches and other debris around your home.
- Check for any water pooling around your home. Your yard should be sloped to direct water away from your home and sewer connections and weeping tiles should be inspected and repaired by a professional if you suspect a problem.
- Inspect and repair any cracked, broken or uneven concrete surfaces.
- Check the trim and weatherproofing around windows and doors.
- Inspect and touch up paint on all exterior surfaces.
- Break out the barbecue and sunglasses (or umbrella!) and enjoy!
Being prepared for spring means taking a few simple steps to ensure that your home is well protected. Being prepared for life’s unexpected twists and turns means protecting your assets with adequate insurance. Talk to us today about your personal insurance needs. We’re here to help.